Tuesday 3 March 2009

exim II

I guess I should explain that I'm writing these posts so that I can remember better what I'm doing. It's easy to feel stupid at work - my colleague is really gun, and often I don't want to ask him about some detail that he's told me before.

Jaye once told me that she needs to hear something 3 times before she really knows it, and the same is true for me. Colleague is a tell-once kinda fellow, not because he's mean, just that he's really busy with stuff most of the time.

The second thing that I want to work out with exim is how to stick in a filter that catches mails with multiple recipients, and alters one of the recipients.

Usually, if a mail comes in that matches one of the recipients, it will deliver according to your specification. That's cool. But say you have an email with mulitple recipients, one of which is a role-based email address, the others of which are particular people. Well, if the filter instructs to deliver seen alternative_role_based_address@domain.com, then the mail only goes there, and the personal addressees don't get the mail at all.

If you use deliver unseen alternative_role_based_address@domain.com, all the personal addressees will get the mail, but you'll get one email to role_based_address@, and a copy to alternative_role_based_address@.

Given that exim bases itself on delivery routing of /mails/, rather than delivery routing to /recipients/, this makes sense.

I hope to work out the solution soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment